arrozcaldofortheheart

"ArrozCaldoForTheHeart"Arroz caldo is a hearty Filipino congee/"lugaw" and topped with crunchy fried garlic. The result is a quick, comforting bowl that's a perfect rainy time meal (and rivals chicken soup for its ability to sooth those suffering from a cold). Like this famous blend of culture dish, this blog aims to share Christian Living inputs such as insights or opinions, original stories and the like from the compilations of the projects of his students for the past decade. May these readings sooth the sunken soul, tired heart and stressed body.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

"Ambition: It is possible, it is ours"

Paige Lim's Excellent Minor Project in CL-4 (September 2010)

Growing up is hard; anyone who tells you it isn’t is lying. We shift from being that little child dreaming to be a doctor or someone famous someday to a graduating high school student constantly being asked on what he or she wishes to be someday. Some of us, fortunately, already know exactly what we want to be. Some of us are still left wondering, still left confused. We deviate from the carefree life our childhood had and steer towards a much more convoluted life full of decisions--major ones--that would impact our lives forever. Oftentimes we deny how hard our lives are getting. We deny the fact that we have to start thinking about what we really want. We even deny how much we want to be successful someday. We’re too wrapped up in complacency that we push having to deal the difficulties of life aside, becoming too complacent that everything will just fall into place. That’s where we’re all wrong because if we want to get somewhere, we need to start from somewhere. That’s one of the most valuable things that I’ve learned so far. 



I believe that it’s not imperative that we know exactly what we want to be right now. What’s really matters is that you have the tenacity to use what you have now as a means to get to where you want to be in the future. It doesn’t hurt to know what you can and can’t do. I, for one, know that I am not as proficient in the field or science or medicine as I am in other fields. When it comes to literature, I admit that I become, in a sense, somewhat illiterate. Such limitations similar to the aforementioned guided me into finding the field that I see myself in someday--the field of marketing. I may not be sure with what specific professional attainment I wish to attain, but I can start somewhere; I can start with what I can do best. When it comes to mathematics, even if it isn’t exactly my favorite field of study, I know I am apt or can learn quickly. When it comes to retail and visual design, I am cognizant of the fact that I have a certain affinity for them. With that, at least I have somewhere and something to start with.



One thing that led me to want or to decide to choose the field of marketing is that both my parents have chosen that path, and have, therefore, been my role models. They exposed me a variety of professions under the aforementioned field, which in turn, further fueled my interest. My eyes were opened to discover a world where it’s goal is to turn a want into a need in the most creative and innovative ways possible, a world which would challenge you every single day, a world of high risk and high return. They introduced me to a world where complacency, simplicity, and naiveté have no room to exist. I learned that upon choosing this field of profession, I must learn to have a steadfast will, a strong heart, a discerning mind, and an eloquent tongue. To me, those are the definitions of success. Without such qualities, professional success is far beyond reach. Such success is attained when one uses these in dealing with people, handling compromising situations, and making consequential decisions with prudence and practicality. These, my parents have taught me, and forever will they abet me. 


Like I said, growing up in undeniably hard. We are made to live uncomfortable, away from our childish pastimes. We are made to tread floors we aren’t used at all used to, but never will I forget what Ayn Rand once said. He said, “Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it's yours.”



We can’t live a life with the regret that we never had enough courage to start somewhere in pursuing our dreams because that dream, that ambition, is there. All we need is a little push because it can be fulfilled. It can be reach. It is possible; it is ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment